This is the official blog of my Study Abroad Trip to Australia and New Zealand. I'll be leaving December 26th and returning home February 2nd.

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Day 2: The A"bridge"d Version

I apologize for the cheesiness. I'm not sure if I'd have to be funny to keep my readers entertained so I thought I'd give it a shot. Today was our first official day of class, which included the group heading over to Sydney Harbor Bridge to explore its massive strength and fascinating construction. On the way we enjoyed one of the more common American pleasures, Starbucks.  We were fortunate enough to have a tour about its assembly and walked up 200 stairs to reach the top of one of the four concrete pillars and see an amazing view of the city of Sydney. Next, we spanned the bridge on foot and gained a true appreciation for the sheer size of the structure. After the bridge exploration we headed over to the Sydney Museum and learned about the history of the city and quite a lot about how Australia had a large part in dictating the development and sport of surfing! We had our first free afternoon where we ate lunch down by the harbor at a fun place called the Pancake House and then hopped a bus over to the Westfield Mall, which is the biggest mall I have ever seen in my life. It has 6 levels of shops and four exits to outdoor strip shopping areas with even more stores. It was extremely packed because apparently most people that live around here take vacation days until the 2nd of January. Well I'm going to grab dinner but I'll upload some photos later tonight before I go to bed. War Eagle!

1 comment:

  1. Don't get the Peppermint Mocha frappachino from Starbucks. Not good. But as Stuart said, the Bridge was truly splendid. The view in every direction from the top of the pillars was breathtaking, and it simply took my breath away. Everyone should visit Sydney.

    ReplyDelete